Indoor Track: What You Need to Know

Green Hope Athletics

Green Hope Athletics

GH Athletics

GH Athletics

Green Hope Athletics

Cayley Ryan, Staff Writer

If you’re a student who enjoys working hard, being part of a team, and improving yourself as an athlete and a person — indoor track might just be the activity for you. As a captain of the team the last two seasons, I can attest to what a wonderful experience it is. An indelible bond is formed between teammates, and it puts you in a great position in terms of preparation for outdoor season.

Here is what you need to know for this week:

In order to be eligible for tryouts, you must have registered on the Green Hope Athletics website (greenhopeathletics.com) and gotten your Ticket to Play.  Monday, October 30th will be the first day of practice. We will be meeting in the stadium bleachers at 2:30 pm sharp. Do NOT come out if you do not have your Ticket to Play for Indoor Track.

This year, in order to be on the team, students must hit a qualifying mark  during tryouts dependent on their desired event.

For all sprinters or field event athletes, the qualification will be based on an 800m time trial. Senior boys must be at or under 2:25, Junior boys must be at or under 2:35, Sophomore boys must be at or under 2:45, and Freshman boys must be at or under 2:45. Senior girls must be at or under 2:55, Junior girls must be at or under 3:05, Sophomore girls must be at or under 3:15, and Freshman girls must be at or under 3:25.

For all distance athletes, the qualification will be based on an 1600m time trial. Senior boys must be at or under 5:30, Junior boys must be at or under 5:45, Sophomore boys must be at or under 6:00, and Freshman boys must be at or under 6:15. Senior girls must be at or under 7:00, Junior girls must be at or under 7:10, Sophomore girls must be at or under 7:20, and Freshman girls must be at or under 7:30.

Throwers will be assessed on a sliding scale based on maximum push-ups, number of sit-ups in one minute, and 50m dash.

We’re looking forward to a great season!