At Least 128 People Dead in Syria

weatherforecast.com screencap

Coral Aman, Staff Writer

News spread Sunday night that at least 128 people had been found dead in the town of Qaryatayn, Syria. At least one hundred others were missing. Qaryatayn is located in central Syria and part of the Homs province. This town is about 300 miles west of Deir al-Zor. Deir al-Zor serves as the central location for defense against the Islamic State. The city is a holding location for Russian jets and armed groups that are supported by Iran.

Qaryatayn was taken over by the Islamic State. The IS entered this town, and over a period of three weeks, the terrorist group kidnapped, beheaded, or shot civilians. Many of these extremists were originally from the town of Qaryatayn. The majority of people killed were involved with the government or Syria’s ruling political party, Baath. The IS made their way through the town and killed anyone they assumed to be affiliated with the Syrian government. Women, children, and other innocent civilians were also killed.

Last Saturday, the Syrian army was able to recover and take back the town from the Islamic State. According to the country’s media, the troops accomplished this by “eliminating terrorist Daesh (Islamic State) groups that had infiltrated it.”

Coral Aman, Copy Editor

Coral is a senior this year and it’s her second year taking the Falcon News Feed class. When she’s not running in the Cross Country or Track seasons, Coral enjoys spending time at the beach and even says if she had to live anywhere outside of the United States it would probably be a tropical island somewhere. Christmas is one of the best times of the year according to Coral; decorating and putting up the tree is her favorite family tradition. Many seniors get anxious to leave Green Hope and Cary, and Coral is no exception. Although she’s a little scared to leave everything she’s ever known, this senior also can’t wait to meet new people and have new experiences; she’s just hoping she doesn’t get senioritis as graduation nears! In the future, Coral hopes to see herself working as an occupational therapist and helping others with basics everyday things, or participating in scientific research, which makes perfect sense seeing as science and math are her two favorite subjects in school.