New Demi Lovato Documentary Spreads Important Message for Teens

A screenshot from Demi's new documentary, <i>Simply Complicated</i>

A screenshot from Demi's new documentary, Simply Complicated

Shea Kofkin-Hansen, Staff Writer

Demi Lovato uncovers all of her difficult truths in her new documentary, Demi Lovato: Simply Complicated.  The documentary itself is just short of an hour and twenty minutes and is exclusive to Youtube. Simply Complicated came out on October 17th following the release of her sixth album, Tell Me You Love Me on September 29th. 

The documentary begins with a monologue by Lovato, while photos from her life flash across the screen,   “I am Demi Lovato, I’m twenty-five. The last decade has taught me a lifetime of lessons. I’ve learned that secrets make you sick. I’m learning how to be a voice and not a victim…I’ve learned that love is necessary. Heartbreak is unavoidable, and loneliness is brutal. I’ve learned that the key to being happy is to tell your truth and be o.k. without all the answers. This is my story. This is Simply Complicated.”

Throughout the short film, we learn about Lovato’s entrance into the world of fame, how she battled addictions and eating disorders, learned to deal with bipolar disorder, endured heartbreaks, and ultimately became the star whom we know and love today.  I believe this documentary is especially important for young girls to watch because so many teenagers suffer with self-esteem issues and mental illnesses.  When Lovato opens up about her bipolar diagnosis and eating disorder, she is showing her audience that it isn’t unusual for someone to suffer with mental illnesses and that opening up and getting help is the best thing one can do for theirself.  

I applaud the courage of Demi Lovato to peel back the layers of her life, in times of struggle and chaos.  She does an excellent job of showing the raw truth behind what using drugs can do to a person, and how it is ultimately lead a person down a suicidal path. It is inspiring to see such a young, famous person being honest, without glorifying things as many young stars do today.  Demi Lovato is an excellent artist and role model, and I look forward to seeing how many more lives she can alter with her inspiring words and powerful music.

• New Demi Lovato Documentary Spreads Important Message for Teens

History is Written by the… Losers?

Hijabi Doll Makes Barbie History

Does the Christmas Season Start Too Soon?

America Needs To Take Action

Are Late Night Talk Shows Too Political?