Soccer Demolishes Jaguars in Dominant Victory

Green Hope Soccer huddles at half time.

Green Hope Soccer huddles at half time.

Brandon Morton

Brandon Morton

Green Hope Soccer huddles at half time.

Brandon Morton, Sports Writer

Monday night, the Green Hope Men’s soccer team traveled to Athens Drive in a crucial Tri-6 conference match. This was a big game as the season is coming to an end and they have a small advantage over Panther Creek for the Tri-6 title. The team showed up to Athens angry as they ended up rolling past the Jags 6-1.

The team’s offense was on full display last night. Senior Connor Brookshire started the night with 2 goals. After a strong play by Dylan Enseling, Sammy Durand was able to score one in sloppy conditions. The rest of the half ended up with two more Green Hope goals, one by senior Mason Phinney and one by junior Dylan Enseling. This helped the Falcons go into the half with a 5-1 lead on the road in wet conditions.

The second half slowed down, and only one goal was scored in the half. The only goal in the half was one by Phinney for his second of the night. When asked about the performance, he said, “The team as a whole played with a lot of energy and we finished the chances we created.” The senior had a great game going into his last few regular season matches of his career.

The team is now in full form going into the end of the regular season. They have not lost in 15 games, playing without captain Tony Andreini for 6 of those, who has been out with injury. Mason Phinney said, “The team has been improving a lot recently, we have been getting much better going into playoffs in a few weeks. Hopefully we can win states on how we are playing right now.” The team plays again Wednesday night at Riverside. Make sure to cheer on the #17 team in the country!

About the Contributor
Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun, he’s come to take it again. This year he’s looking forward to being the chicken mini mile champion for the second time. “I don’t think anyone in this class can compete this year and I think it’s an easy year. I’ve been working on my quick eating skills.” Outside of school, he runs Varsity XC and Indoor/Outdoor track. His favorite subject is math- he’s a big fan of calculus. His favorite animal is his dog Millie, whom he calls a “goober.” The Fourth of July is his favorite holiday where he gets to spend the day out and really show how patriotic he is. His favorite place in the world is Camp Cheerio, where he spent the summer. His dad inspires him the most, “he works really hard and tries to do the best for my family.”