Recipe: Pumpkin Spice Cookies

Hannah Petersen, Staff Writer

Pumpkin Spice Cookies

Have you ever not been able to decide between a cookie and a cupcake? Well with this recipe you don’t have to choose. Satisfy your cravings for sweet icing and cake like texture. This cookie melts in your mouth and is perfect for a holiday treat. Here is the simple recipe for pumpkin spice cookies.

Ingredients: Batter

• 2 c. all purpose flour
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • 1 t. ground cinnamon
  • ½ t. baking soda
  • ½ t. ground nutmeg
  • ½ t. ground ginger
  • 1 c. butter
  • ¾ c. white sugar
  • ¾ c. brown sugar
  • 2 t. vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree

Frosting:

• 1 (3 oz) package of softened cream cheese
  • ¼ c. butter, softened
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
  • 2 c. confectioners’ sugar

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease your baking sheets
  2. In a bowl whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and ginger together in a bowl. Beat 1 cup butter, white sugar, brown sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, and egg with an electric mixer in a separate large bowl, beating until mixture is smooth. Beat in pumpkin puree. Gradually stir dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture. Batter will be moist.
  3. Spoon batter by teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven until cookies are lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cookies cool for about 5 minutes on sheets before removing to finish cooling on waxed paper.
  5. Beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in a bowl with an electric mixer until soft and creamy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time, until frosting is smooth and spreadable. Frost cooled cookies with cream cheese frosting.

Hannah Petersen, Junior Staff Writer

Hannah Petersen is a junior writer for The Falcon, and this is her second year writing for the school newspaper. Hannah produced over thirty professionally written articles last year. She has a passion for science. Her drive to help the environment fuels her everyday life. Her favorite pastime is napping, with the rest of her free time she likes to take pictures, drink coffee, and play the ukulele. Her favorite sports are football and soccer. She has two dogs, one black lab and one shih tzu toy poodle. Her dream vacation is going to the Bahamas. While there she would like to explore the island and go snorkeling in the clear seas. In five years she sees herself graduating college and pursuing her dream job. She has always loved kids and working with them so her dream job is to be a Pediatric Occupational Therapist.