Freshmen vs. Sophomores: Battle of the Underclassmen

Sophomores > Freshmen

Sophomores > Freshmen

Sophia Hall

Sophia Hall

Sophomores > Freshmen

Alex Price, Staff Writer

Out of all four years of high school, sophomore year is by far the most normal year. During freshman year, students are getting used to high school and figuring out how they’re going to survive four years of school. Juniors are taking as many AP classes as they can to get their GPA as high as possible, and seniors are focused on getting into the college of their dreams. Sophomores, however, are just there: teachers aren’t trying to help them get used to high school, and administration isn’t worried about getting them into college. Some sophomores start might taking their first AP classes, but there isn’t anything particularly special about sophomore year, and that makes it much better than freshman year.  Sophomore year is the only normal year of high school.

Sophomore year is more or less a year away from the spotlight of the other years in high school. This gives students a chance to look to the future and figure out what they want to do for the rest of high school and beyond. Since junior year is all about adding as many activities to your resume as possible, and senior year is filled with applying to colleges, there’s no better time than sophomore year to figure out where you want to go to college, what you want to study, and what extra-curricular clubs you want to participate in. Teachers and counselors try to instill these thoughts in students when they’re freshmen, but freshmen are still getting used to high school and aren’t very likely to be thinking about a future that seems impossibly far away.

When asked about which year was better, current Green Hope sophomores Rehnuma Ahmed and Kayla Enoch had this to say: “Sophomore year because we’re getting closer and closer to graduation,” stated Kayla. Rehnuma said, “Sophomore year, because now you know how to handle things and you know how to be responsible for your own stuff, and you know your way around high school and begin focusing more on what you want to do that’ll lead you to your future career.”

There are those who think that the workload of freshman year makes it an easier year than sophomore year, but for a student just coming out of middle school, the workload of a freshman can be extremely stressful. They are adapting to a new environment, and many freshmen try to jump into many clubs and overload themselves, adding to the stress that they are feeling.  Not only have sophomores had a chance to think about their futures, but they also understand how high school works and their way around high school. Freshmen have just as stressful of a workload, so it’s not any easier.

To any freshmen stressing about how bad freshman year is- don’t worry, it gets better.

About the Contributors
Alex Price, Staff Writer

Jacob is a junior at Green Hope. He wrestles for both Green Hope and Wolfpack Wrestling Club, and is an avid Fortnite player. Jacob enjoys movies, and said if he was stuck on a stranded island, he would wish to have all six seasons of the show “Lost” with him. Jacob would like to be an actor when he grows up (if success is guaranteed), because actors are able to experience many different roles, positions, cultures, and travel to many different places. His favorite food is Papa John’s pepperoni pizza, and his favorite holiday is Christmas. If he were dared to dye his hair an unnatural color, Jacob would choose hot pink, but he believes the color that best describes him is green. When asked what three words describe him, Jacob chose “Really cool person.”