Fight for 55: Volleyball Sweeps The Creek

Karen Summers

Karen Summers

Brandon Morton, Sports Writer

On September 28th, the Green Hope volleyball team walked into Panther Creek with the Fight for 55 sign, and 3 hours later they left with it. The team swept PC 3-0 in what would be called a “rivalry” match. This now puts the Fight for 55 total at 2-0 for the Falcons.

The girls came out to a great start, dominating the first set. They soared past the Catamounts winning the set 25-10. The crowds for both teams were really into this game and wanted their team to win.

The Falcons went on to win the next 2 sets 25-20 and 25-18 to win the match. This huge Fight for 55 win has added to the team’s win streak as they are looking for a successful rest of the season. Sophomore Alexis Engelbrecht said, “We played really well with great energy. Everyone got hype pre-game so we all played well.” When asked about the rivalry, Engelbrecht said, “The game was more enjoyable because we were beating our rivals.”

Alexis, when asked about her goal for the rest of the season, said, “Win states. We do not want to lose again.” The team is really looking for a back-to-back season and know they have the skill to do it. Their next game is Tuesday at home versus Cary. Come out and support your reigning state champs.

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun, he’s come to take it again. This year he’s looking forward to being the chicken mini mile champion for the second time. “I don’t think anyone in this class can compete this year and I think it’s an easy year. I’ve been working on my quick eating skills.” Outside of school, he runs Varsity XC and Indoor/Outdoor track. His favorite subject is math- he’s a big fan of calculus. His favorite animal is his dog Millie, whom he calls a “goober.” The Fourth of July is his favorite holiday where he gets to spend the day out and really show how patriotic he is. His favorite place in the world is Camp Cheerio, where he spent the summer. His dad inspires him the most, “he works really hard and tries to do the best for my family.”