Falcons Beat the Peak

Colin Fegeley

Colin Fegeley

Brandon Morton, Sports Writer

Monday night, the Green Hope Men’s Soccer team beat Apex High School 2-1 in a non-conference match. The team coming off of an almost 2 week road trip was ready to play in front of the Falcon’s crowd yesterday. Their second win against Apex increased their win streak to 7 games, as they begin to move towards the end of the regular season.

The game started quick, with an early goal from junior Dylan Enseling. The goal, assisted by senior Mason Phinney, was scored in the 8th minute and put the Falcons up over a former conference powerhouse. The rest of the first half was back and forth between both sides. The game went into halftime with a solid 1-0 Falcons lead.

In the 42nd minute, Apex scored to bring even the game at one goal apiece. This changed the momentum towards the Cougars of Apex, but Green Hope was able to recover and start pressuring Apex. Many great plays from the Falcons ensued, including a nice chop from Sean Petersen to make an Apex defender fall to the ground. After asking Petersen about that move, he said, “I just did a tight Ronaldo chop and I heard him slip, but besides the hype, I realized the plays following were more important in a close game.”

The team kept pushing until they found the winning goal. After many missed chances, including a header skimming over the goal, and a Mason Phinney strike hitting the crossbar, junior Patrick O’Neill was able to find Phinney for the goal to put the team ahead 2-1. The team was able to maintain that score until the end of the game, adding another win to their record.

The team is on a strong winning streak as conference play is right around the corner. Their next game is Thursday at 6:30 at home. Come out and support the team!

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun, he’s come to take it again. This year he’s looking forward to being the chicken mini mile champion for the second time. “I don’t think anyone in this class can compete this year and I think it’s an easy year. I’ve been working on my quick eating skills.” Outside of school, he runs Varsity XC and Indoor/Outdoor track. His favorite subject is math- he’s a big fan of calculus. His favorite animal is his dog Millie, whom he calls a “goober.” The Fourth of July is his favorite holiday where he gets to spend the day out and really show how patriotic he is. His favorite place in the world is Camp Cheerio, where he spent the summer. His dad inspires him the most, “he works really hard and tries to do the best for my family.”