Make Up Your Mind About Make-Up Days

Bilal Azzam, Staff Writer

Sophia Hall

Everyone’s getting ready for the hurricane set to affect North Carolina. People from the mountains to the coast have been panicking about this natural disaster. And the closer the hurricane comes to North Carolina, the higher the chance is for school to be cancelled.

As great as a weekday school cancellation seems, many students were shocked to discover that Wake County’s scheduled October make-up are Halloween and then Saturday 10/28.

Sophomore Roshan Vridachalam claimed, “…it’s a big deal because many students have after school activities, homework, and tests to study for.  No school would let us do all the things we need to do and give time to go trick or treating.”

Vridachalam has a point. Halloween is a day where people are supposed to enjoy themselves and be with their friends. However, if Halloween was a school day, other tasks such as homework, studying, and other school-related activities would get in the way.

Although many students in Wake County are upset about the unfortunate news, others don’t really mind. Sophomore Samarth Jadia said, “I think it’s not a big deal because kids go trick-or-treating after school anyways, so that’s fine.” Despite the fact that this might be true, Halloween is seen by many as a full day event, full of relaxing and enjoying time off of school.

Clearly, Wake County’s new make up days are problematic. While WCPSS sets calendars years in advance and solicits input from students, those students voices must not have been heard. Saturday school might work for year round elementary schools, but the reality of school on the weekend for high school students would be nearly impossible, from athletic competitions, jobs, worship, to family plans.

As Wake County annually schedules makeup days, input from students seems to have been minimal. While some students don’t really mind since Halloween activities take place during the night anyway, others argue against it because they want the day to relax and get ready for Halloween activities. We can all agree that that school on Halloween would be a nuisance, and a vast majority of students would prefer not having school on the annual holiday and having their voice heard.

• Make Up Your Mind About Make-Up Days

History is Written by the… Losers?

• Make Up Your Mind About Make-Up Days

Hijabi Doll Makes Barbie History

• Make Up Your Mind About Make-Up Days

Does the Christmas Season Start Too Soon?

• Make Up Your Mind About Make-Up Days

America Needs To Take Action

• Make Up Your Mind About Make-Up Days

Are Late Night Talk Shows Too Political?

Make Up Your Mind About Make-Up Days