The End of an Era

Melanie Brown

Melanie Brown

Peyton Barish, Sports Editor

Green Hope soccer has been widely known for its constant presence in the state playoffs.  Both the men’s and women’s rosters have been decimated recently with the introduction of NCFC Academy and their female counterpart NC Courage Academy.  NCFC is the professional soccer team that plays at WakeMed Soccer Park during the fall and spring.  The team has created and ran its own developmental academy teams that draw the best talent in the area.  This would not be a problem if the season ended before the high school season started; however, both teams forbid their players from participating in high school athletics.

This year Academy teams will take Green Hope’s two star soccer players away from the school, and with them, potential post-season success.  Grace Wagner, star Green Hope forward committed to Clemson, would be the returning SWAC player of the year.  She was able to play high school soccer because she played for ECNL, a high level national club team.  That changed when U.S. Soccer created a girl’s developmental academy team as a counterpart to the boys team.  Wagner says that the team is beneficial because it is “preparing her for college playing against the best competition in the nation.”  That said she does wish there was a way for her to play for her beloved Falcons her senior year, and hopefully lead them to a Tri-6 conference championship.  She will miss having the opportunity to “represent her school, and playing with her school friends.”  

Green Hope also lost their star men’s soccer player Camden Holbrook to Academy this year.  He was the leader of the Green Hope team who finished the 2016 season as the number one team in the country.  Holbrook also won Gatorade’s boys soccer player of the year for the state of North Carolina after one of the strongest individual seasons in recent memory.  This loss hit Green Hope soccer hard after already losing 9 starting seniors to graduation. He bases his decision on the “opportunity to play in college,” which he recently guaranteed himself with a commitment to Appalachian State.  Holbrook misses the sense of fun that was present at Green Hope soccer practices and games because Academy is very serious.  In Holbrook’s words “Green Hope had more of a team atmosphere than Academy.”  

The athletic programs will miss seeing these players on the field, but has a lot to look forward to with a men’s program that is still among the best in the state and a women’s program that is sure to feature lots of young talent.  We wish these athletes the best, and they will be remembered as some of the greatest Green Hope athletes to ever grace the pitch.  

• The End of an Era

Men's Soccer

Class of 2018 Commit: Camden Holbrook

• The End of an Era

Men's Soccer

Soccer Demolishes Jaguars in Dominant Victory

• The End of an Era

Men's Soccer

Tony Andreini Sets His Sight on Senior Night

• The End of an Era

Men's Soccer

Falcons Beat the Peak

• The End of an Era

Soccer Nets Big Win Over Middle Creek

The End of an Era