Cross Country Stumbles at Oatlands

Lisa McArthur

Lisa McArthur

Brandon Morton, Sports Writer

The Oatlands Invitational was nothing but a wake-up call for both Green Hope cross country teams. Both varsity teams fell, the men to #1 rated Loudoun Valley finishing in second, and the girls finishing 7th. The JV men & women’s teams finished in first, both in dominating fashion.

The most anticipated race of the weekend, the Varsity A race saw the #1 team in the country, Loudoun Valley, facing off against #9 Green Hope. The #1 team did nothing but run over the Falcons. Loudoun Valley scored 46 points, with all 5 of their scoring runners beating Green Hope’s second place finisher. This was a let down for Green Hope coming off a huge win at Friday Night Lights to lose by 71 points at Oatlands. Senior captain Peyton Barish said, “We really disappointed ourselves. We believed we could run with Loudoun Valley and not only compete with them, but beat them. It was a bad race for us as a whole and we plan on racing much better in the future.”

The Women’s Varsity race had Green Hope’s first finisher, sophomore Kelsey Vogel, running a 20:22 finishing 18th overall. Green Hope finished with a score of 377, running with a team consisting of mainly sophomores. The heat and the hills got to both teams on a humid morning in Virginia, and will most likely be the hardest course they run all year.

Both teams are looking ahead to the Great American XC Festival as a rematch against top teams, including Loudoun Valley. This race is at WakeMed Soccer Park, the home course for the Falcons. Hopefully this advantage can help both teams knock off Loudoun Valley, and regain some national prominence.

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun, he’s come to take it again. This year he’s looking forward to being the chicken mini mile champion for the second time. “I don’t think anyone in this class can compete this year and I think it’s an easy year. I’ve been working on my quick eating skills.” Outside of school, he runs Varsity XC and Indoor/Outdoor track. His favorite subject is math- he’s a big fan of calculus. His favorite animal is his dog Millie, whom he calls a “goober.” The Fourth of July is his favorite holiday where he gets to spend the day out and really show how patriotic he is. His favorite place in the world is Camp Cheerio, where he spent the summer. His dad inspires him the most, “he works really hard and tries to do the best for my family.”