Taylor Swift’s Bad Reputation

Singer+Taylor+Swift+on+her+1989+World+Tour+in+2015.+
Singer Taylor Swift on her 1989 World Tour in 2015.

By makaiyla willis (IMG_8016) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Coral Aman, Staff Writer

On Thursday, August 25, Taylor Swift addressed the snakes. She released her new single, “Look What You Made Me Do.” And announced a new album, her sixth, entitled Reputation, which is set to be released on November 10.

“Look What You Made Me Do” marks a shift in Swift’s music and is unlike anything Taylor has ever released. This has lead to a lukewarm reception and many mixed reactions. Some people are love this new hit, while others want the old Taylor back, maybe even abandoning their Swift fandom altogether.

In the new song, Taylor sings about those who have destroyed her reputation, and it comes across that she is angry and wants revenge. Taylor sings “I don’t like your little games/ Don’t like your titled stage.”

The assumption is that she is referring to celebrities Kanye West, Kim Kardashian, and Katy Perry, among others. Some of Taylor’s fans are excited for this new theme and appreciate the bold step Taylor is taking. These supporters of “Look What You Made me Do”  feel inspired by the message and feel encouraged to stand up for themselves against the people who try to bring them down.  This has lead to 84.4 million streams of the song.

Still, others strongly dislike the song.  Fans patiently waited three years for new music, and to many this song was not worth the wait. They believe Taylor sacrificed the quality of her music in order to make a point with vapid, repetitive lyrics. 

She doesn’t seem to care. And maybe as Taylor sings, “I’m sorry, the old Taylor can’t come to the phone right now/why?/ Oh ‘cause she’s dead!,” the new Taylor is here to stay. 

And that might not be a good thing. For now, fans should hold off playing this song on repeat and hold out hope that Taylor’s Reputation will rise above, rather than lead to fans saying “Look what you made me do,” as they remove their I ❤️️ TS  stickers.

Coral Aman, Copy Editor

Coral is a senior this year and it’s her second year taking the Falcon News Feed class. When she’s not running in the Cross Country or Track seasons, Coral enjoys spending time at the beach and even says if she had to live anywhere outside of the United States it would probably be a tropical island somewhere. Christmas is one of the best times of the year according to Coral; decorating and putting up the tree is her favorite family tradition. Many seniors get anxious to leave Green Hope and Cary, and Coral is no exception. Although she’s a little scared to leave everything she’s ever known, this senior also can’t wait to meet new people and have new experiences; she’s just hoping she doesn’t get senioritis as graduation nears! In the future, Coral hopes to see herself working as an occupational therapist and helping others with basics everyday things, or participating in scientific research, which makes perfect sense seeing as science and math are her two favorite subjects in school.