Soccer Nets Big Win Over Middle Creek

Green Hope Soccer

Green Hope Soccer

Brandon Morton, Sports Writer

Tuesday Night, Sophomore Sam Durand proved himself a future star for GH soccer. Durand scored 4 goals, all in the first half! The sophomore scored a beautiful free-kick from 40 yards out to score his second of the night in the 31st minute. During the final 9 minutes of the half, Durand was able to score 2 more and etch his name in stone next to a Green Hope legend. The last soccer player at Green Hope to score 4 goals in one half… Hall of Famer Stephen Bickford.

When asked about his performance last night, Durand said, “I thought that was my best game of the season by far. I did not rush things, they just came to me and I took my chances when I had them.”

Durands standout game last night has now put him tied with Green Hope Junior Dylan Enseling for leading goal scorer in the conference.

Sam started playing soccer at the age of 4 for FC Cary and was not an above average player. In 7th grade, Sam became the captain of the middle school soccer team and that helped raise his soccer skill to a new level. Durand kept getting better and better at his craft throughout middle school with a chip on his shoulder. His goal is to get Green Hope another State Championship because his brother won States in 2012, as a sophomore.

Sam began his freshman year on the junior varsity soccer team. Durand did not play as much on the JV team as he now does on the varsity team, but when he got the time on the field, he did not waste it. Sam ended his freshman season as second leading goal scorer with 11 goals, behind Dylan Enseling.

Outside of Green Hope, Sam played on 02 CASL Red his freshman year. He was the leading goal scorer for his team that whole season. His team ended first in the state, and his team qualified for regionals. Regionals is where the best teams from the Southeast U.S. go to play each other and try to earn a bid to nationals. Durand’s team lost in the semi-finals, and he thought they could have done better.

That loss in Regionals has given Sam the motivation to do better, which is seen on the pitch this season. He is a starter for the varsity team, where he did not even start on JV last year. When asked on why he is such a big role player for the team this year, Durand replied, “I just play my game to help the team. Hopefully, if I do that, we can make it back to States.”

The Sophomore has done everything, but disappoint for Coach Corsbie and the Green Hope fans. The team plays again Wednesday night at home against Holly Springs at 6:30. Come out and cheer on the boys!

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun, he’s come to take it again. This year he’s looking forward to being the chicken mini mile champion for the second time. “I don’t think anyone in this class can compete this year and I think it’s an easy year. I’ve been working on my quick eating skills.” Outside of school, he runs Varsity XC and Indoor/Outdoor track. His favorite subject is math- he’s a big fan of calculus. His favorite animal is his dog Millie, whom he calls a “goober.” The Fourth of July is his favorite holiday where he gets to spend the day out and really show how patriotic he is. His favorite place in the world is Camp Cheerio, where he spent the summer. His dad inspires him the most, “he works really hard and tries to do the best for my family.”