Football Holds on for 28-21 victory

Peyton Barish and Noe Brady

Green Hope Football

Green Hope scored an early season victory over Leesville Road on Thursday night before Labor Day weekend, winning 28-21.  After a blowout victory over Apex, the Falcons came into the game expecting a close game, but for much of the game Green Hope came out firing on all cylinders.  The victory gives the team momentum heading into a matchup with former SWAC rival Holly Springs Golden.

Willie Taylor and Jordyn Adams hooked up early in the first quarter for a 75 yard touchdown pass.  Taylor threw a bomb 45 yards which Adams picked out of the air and did the rest, looking like a man among boys.  

Dylon Washington punched in another touchdown near the end of the half to put the Falcons up 15-0.  However, the big momentum play came at the very end of the first half when Monte Williams read the quarterback like a picture book, and took the ball 40 yards to the house for a pick-six.  

Going into halftime the Falcons were up 21-0 and Williams knew they were going to win “after I got that pick 6.”  

The second half began just like the first half ended, with a big Green Hope touchdown.  Jordyn Adams took a punt 65 yards to the house, making multiple people miss on his way to the end-zone.  However, the Falcons would be unable to score for the rest of the game as Leesville attempted to a stylized Patriots Super Bowl comeback.  However,  the senior leadership of Paul Robinson, Ethan Melton, and Williams helped the boys stay composed, focused, and motivated during Leesville’s comeback attempt.  Williams said the team was intent on getting a win because “[Coach] Green was the coach there and he did not want to come out of there with a loss.”  

The team will look to stretch their winning streak to three games against Holly Springs, but know they have some things to improve on, Williams reflected on what the team needs to improve,“defensively, we can’t get beat deep and offensively, our offensive line needs work.”  

After a tough start to the season, the Falcons are sky-high on a two game winning streak and continue to improve every game.

• Football Holds on for 28-21 victory

Men's Soccer

Class of 2018 Commit: Camden Holbrook

• Football Holds on for 28-21 victory

FOOTBALL

Falcons Playoff Preview: Leesville Road

• Football Holds on for 28-21 victory

FOOTBALL

GH vs. PC Preview

• Football Holds on for 28-21 victory

SPORTS

Crusaders No Match for Fighting Falcons

• Football Holds on for 28-21 victory

Falcons Fly into States

Football Holds on for 28-21 victory