Can Green Hope Volleyball Serve up a Repeat?

Will 2018 see a repeat for the 2017 NCHSAA 4A State Champions? The Falcons hope so.

Green Hope Volleyball

Green Hope Volleyball

Peyton Barish, Staff Writer

Green Hope’s volleyball team returns this season as one of the top teams in the state after winning the NCHSAA 4A state title last year over Ronald Reagan High School, and dropping only one game in the campaign.  They lost no major contributors to graduation and return a phenomenal starting seven of Kayla Dowler, Sydney Dowler, Amy Zhang, Alexis Engelbrecht, Luisa Lyons, Taylor Nomanson, and Erin Boone.  Engelbrecht recently announced her commitment to Iowa State where she will begin playing in 2020.  Returning a team of this strength leads to high expectations, but the girls are prepared to chase a second consecutive state championship.  They are led by the strong senior leadership of Kara Adams and the aforementioned Zhang.   

Adams believes the team, “has a good shot of repeating last year’s accomplishments at states and definitely a conference championship.”  When asked whether or not they will take Panther Creek down twice this year Adams replied, “I guarantee it.”  However, Adams also believes the Falcons have “a target on our backs because everyone wants to take down the number one team, which means every team will play out of their minds against us because they have nothing to lose.”

Similar to last year, the Dowler sisters will serve as Green Hope’s ‘Dynamic Duo’ and Amy Zhang provides fantastic outside hitting.  They also look to improve their defensive capabilities with three players competing constantly for the role of libero.  This year the girls have already played 7 games and have only lost to North Raleigh Christian Academy, another one of the top teams in the state.  The girls take on Middle Creek Monday, Leesville Road on Tuesday, and Apex Friendship on Thursday. The game on Tuesday against Leesville Road will be streamed LIVE via FalconVision.

Peyton Barish, Senior Staff Writer
Peyton Barish is a returning writer for the Falcon News Feed and hopes to do big things.  He dabbles in the sport of long-distance jogging and occasionally plays basketball because it truly is #BucketSZN.  His favorite food is grilled cheese made by the best cook in the world, Mom.  Peyton also owns a labradoodle named...