Club Spotlight: Environmental Club

Leni Schenkel, Staff Writer

Adalbertus

One of the greatest problems we have as a society today is the deterioration of our natural environment. We hear talk of global warming, mass pollution, and habitat destruction, but not all of us may know how to combat these issues. Fortunately, there is a place in Green Hope where students can learn. Environmental club has been here since the founding of our school, gathering students with a drive to keep our community green. Originally, most members were part of the club to earn volunteer hours for AP Environmental Science. However, many stay with the club even after completing the class because of the friendships and impact they make there.

Hiral Patel, one member of the club, talked about its purpose and what members do there. “So basically, every Thursday, we get together in the classroom, and Rush breaks off all the people. He says, ‘Who’s gonna take the third floor, who’s gonna take second floor, first floor, media center?’ And we go out in those groups. Someone holds the big recycling bin and we sort out the plastic bottles, the cardboard, and the paper, and that is shipped off to the recycling center. It’s basically to help out our environment and see how much we can do. Even though this is a small scale, if we start out small it could be something great.”

The group is already transforming into something great, something that makes an impact on their community. Co-president, Alex Stotska, talked about the volunteering that members do outside of cleaning up our school. “Some examples would be mulching at hemlock bluffs. There’s a tiger rescue that they do that’s very popular. It’s filled within minutes of the signup going live. There’s also some ‘adopt a highways.’ They do some stuff around lake crabtree with picking up trash. So it’s a lot of stuff where you go outside and actually do work.” Additionally, students participate in a project on Earth Day, meant to educate their peers about keeping the Earth clean. Aryal Gilan, another member of the club, described, “The day before Earth Day, in the commons, we had that booth and we had a bunch of posters from previous years and we made a couple of our own that talked about the natural beauty of the Earth and environmental degradation. And then we also had incentives to have people come over and learn more like candy and putting a green thumb print on a poster. It was very informative too, talking about how to reduce, reuse, recycle, and other sustainability methods: How to keep our environmental green and pretty.”

The environmental club has played a large part in keeping our school and community clean. Members join together with friends to encourage teachers and other students to recycle and to help the environment as much as they can. With the work they do, perhaps that impact will grow from something small to something quite big.

Club Spotlight: Environmental Club