Club Spotlight: FTA

Leni Schenkel, Staff Writer

Sunrise School Division

In 2012, a group of aspiring teachers joined together to form the Future Teachers of America club. Now, though its members may be few, the group engages in many discussions and debates regarding the trade, and participates in service projects to improve schools across the USA. In 2014, Hayley Newton became president of the club to see its work continue. Now a senior, she says, “The overall goal of this club is to prepare Green Hope students that want to go into education for what they might encounter, and to teach various skills.  We have discussed lesson plans and looked at real examples of how they work and are formatted.”

Topics aren’t limited to teaching methods and plans, however. Members often discuss the politics of the classroom, like the issues of celebrating holidays that include all students. Opinions vary in the group for this very reason–because each student is different. It is this meld of ideas that makes this club the opportunity for learning and growth that it is. “The club members all interact very well, despite the vast differences between us,” Newton commented.

FTA doesn’t just hold discussions. It’s thanks to them that Green Hope has an annual December book drive whose proceeds go directly to the Read and Feed Tutoring Organization in Cary. This event holds meaning for many members of the club, as Newton stated. “A few of our members volunteer for this organization, so it’s pretty meaningful to us, and special to be able to give back and make a difference.  We have donated a combined total of over a thousand books in the past three years, and hope to keep up the success!

The FTA club wants to have a place in this school for Green Hope’s aspiring education majors. With their astounding service work and important goals, they certainly deserve one.

Club Spotlight: FTA