Courtesy of IKEA

Courtesy of IKEA

It’s Official: IKEA is Coming to Cary

Thursday was an exciting day for the Green Hope area, as Cary received the news that the town is officially getting an IKEA store; the first one in the area and the second one in North Carolina. After many rumors of IKEA coming to Cary, it was finally announced by the Swedish retailer that the store is going to be located in a rezoned section of Cary Towne Center.

IKEA submitted plans for a 359,000 square foot building, which is slightly larger than the Charlotte store. If the plans are approved, the store could open as early as Summer 2020 and could create about 300 jobs when the store opens. A two-story parking deck that has about 1,000 parking spaces will accompany the building. Green Hope Sophomore, Meike Kratzsch, says about the IKEA in Cary, “I think it’s great. [It] allows for people who don’t want to drive for like 3 hours to buy from IKEA, and college students tend to buy [IKEA’s] kind of furniture, so it’s easier to access for them too.”

While the highly anticipated IKEA is in the process of being approved by the planning department, the  Eastern Cary Gateway has been proposed and is also currently in review. The plan is to turn the area into a commercial and residential area, including the area’s first Wegmans. IKEA has said that the Raleigh-Durham area has the ideal amount of traffic for when they are considering locations to place their stores.

The Cary Towne Center mall rezoning will bring a lot of traffic to the area, new jobs, and more attention to the places close to Downtown Cary. To celebrate this great potential in the Green Hope community, the Falcon News Feed has temporarily changed the theme of site to reflect IKEA’s logo.