Soccer Shuts Out Leesville

GH Soccer

GH Soccer

On Friday, the Falcons defeated Laney High School in round two of the playoffs.  The final score was 3-2, with goals by Emily Lawson, Izzy Brown, and Summer Hanks.  This was a close game, but Green Hope was able to come out on top.

Last night, the team played their biggest game of the season in the third round of the state playoffs against Leesville Road.  The game was expected to be extremely competitive, but the Falcons had the bonus of competing with a chip on their shoulder.  Leesville Road was ranked higher than the Falcons on MaxPreps, which provided added motivation for the team.  They came out shooting and blew the Pride out of the stadium in a dazzling 5-0 performance that saw outstanding play from every team member.

Izzy Brown struck first with a stunning free kick from 30 yards out giving the Falcons momentum less than 10 minutes into the game.  After that both defenses held strong and no goals were given up by either side.  20 minutes into the second half the Falcons still led 1-0, but Grace Wagner added a tap in past the keeper in the 60th minute.  Almost immediately after that goal, the Falcons drew another free kick, and Izzy Brown put it in the back of the net from 25 yards out to make it 3-0.  The Pride could not get anything going on the other side with Lilly Dunn playing outstanding in goal, stopping any shot that Leesville managed to take against a suffocating Falcon defense anchored by Bailey Petersen and Haley Dellinger.  The Falcons only extended their lead after Brown’s free kick with Catherine Holbrook and Audrey Cooke scoring within two minutes of each other and sealing the deal for the Falcons.  

Next the Lady Falcons will take on Hoggard High School.  Green Hope will host the Vikings on Friday at 6:30.  The Vikings are 21-2-1, so they’re not to be taken lightly.  MaxPreps shows the Vikings averaging 3.8 points per game, and the Falcons are slightly ahead with an average of 4.1.  Hoggard is a very strong defensive team, but the Falcons are known to get a goal.  Come out on Friday night to support your girls as they take on Hoggard in the fourth round.  

About the Writers
Peyton Barish, Senior Staff Writer

Peyton Barish is a returning writer for the Falcon News Feed and hopes to do big things.  He dabbles in the sport of long-distance jogging and occasionally plays basketball because it truly is #BucketSZN.  His favorite food is grilled cheese made by the best cook in the world, Mom.  Peyton also owns a labradoodle named Ivy who has already proven herself as a talented wingman.  Send him news via Snapchat @pbarish18.